Sep 26, 2008

Only 5 days to go till GothNoWriMo begins!

These are the things I've done to prepare:
  1. I've worked out the number of scenes based on the wordcount - I'm aiming to write 20,000 words, I will have somewhere between 1000 and 2000 words per scene, so that means I'll have somewhere between 10 and 20 scenes. Let's say 15

  2. I've done a mind map on 'I fear' (a part of a technique from the Thinking Sideways course) to find out what makes me shiver with uneasiness so that I can include those elements in the story.

  3. I've worked out what will happen in the first four or five scenes so that I don't stall once I start writing. I don't want to do much more than that, because I find that plotting the whole story up front takes all the fun out of it for me. If I've written the story outline, then what point is there in writing the story? It's just repetition.

  4. I've re-read an article I found some years ago on About.com (geared towards teen writing, but the article doesn't appear to be on that website any more so I'm glad I printed a copy at the time!) to keep in mind how to go about creating a gothic, dark, look-over-your-shoulder ambience in the story

  5. I've drawn up a wordcount spreadsheet so that I can track whether I'm on target, behind and need to catch up, or ahead and can afford to take a day off.

  6. I've got some images of elements of the story to keep me inspired - images of my hero and heroine, the haunted house, a villain, the ghost.

  7. A floor plan of the house and grounds so that I can decide what happens where; this will also help to inspire ideas for further scenes.
And that's it.

I'm looking forward to the challenge and can't wait to get started!

2 comments:

covewriter said...

It's covewriter: I have this under my Gmail account but don't have an actual blog...

I must say, definitely keen on your amount of planning. It is just enough to help, not hurt, and inspire you to meet your goals.

I was disappointed to see said article gone...you said you printed it...you wouldn't happen to have a scan of it, would you? I wouldn't ask you to type the whole thing, but I would like to read it! My Gmail is JessieAFitzgerald (at) Gmail dot com.

Liselm said...

Hi covewriter, thanks for stopping by!

No problem, I will send you the article. I have tried without success to find it again so I could credit the author with it and maybe post a link to it instead, but I'm not having any luck so far.

Best of luck with your GothNoWriMo project, too! :)