Nov 14, 2008

Day 14 NaNoWriMo

Today I had to sit myself down and work through week 5 of the How to Think Sideways course. I'm winging NaNo - there's no plot outline, per se - but that doesn't mean I can go completely blindly into the story. A writer needs to know some important things about her characters, about the conflict, about the world the story is set in. Week 5 of the How to Think Sideways course helps a writer to get those important details down on paper and clear in her head. And that sparks ideas.

I now know what the next scene is going to be about, although I'm not sure how it's going to end - I have to leave that open so that I enjoy the journey from A to wherever B is.

I also know what's going to eventually happen to one of my characters, and why it's important.

Bit by bit, the story is rising slowly out of a murky, bracken-filled pool and beginning to gleam in the sunlight.

0 comments: