Sep 17, 2010

GothNoWriMo Pre-Planning Progress 3

This morning I worked on the conflict and scenes worksheets and now have seven scenes pretty much ready to be written once October 1st comes round.

I'm estimating about 2,000 words per scene, although I'm not sure how that will pan out once I start writing. But using those numbers, seven scenes at 2,000 words each will take me more than half way to the finish line of my 20,000 GothNo wordcount goal.

Next week, I'll be looking at my plot cards and dissecting them to make sure my Sentence Lites are working as hard as they need to so that when I finally start writing, I won't be creating any boring or static scenes.

It's a first draft, and I'm not aiming for perfection, but it has to be on track otherwise the revision will be a nightmare.

This is the pre-planning process from Holly Lisle's How to Think Sideways course. The great thing about the course is that there's a logic to the exercises but you still have the ability to have fun with them and not drain the life out of the project.

Oh, and I am revising my Sentence for the story to:

Fun-loving 1950s ghost plays matchmaker to two young people ... and learns about life and love and happily-ever-afters.

That happily-ever-after bit is one of the key elements of the story.

2 comments:

S.A. Connor said...

Looks like you have your game together - I'm impressed!

Liselm said...

Thank you! I'm doing my best. I'm not into too much outlining (it makes me claustrophic) but, on the other hand, it helps if I have some sort of map to guide me over the starting line on October 1st. :)