Aug 28, 2011

What I'm starting with

I've been thinking of writing a sequel to Greenwood Manor, my GothNo 2008 novella. Katherine and Dr Sterling are engaged and he wants her to meet his family. This is, of course, quite an important event, because Dr Sterling's family will become her inlaws.

Rose and Jamie will re-appear in this second novella, as will Katherine's mother-in-law (her first husband's mother) and possibly the mother-in-law's friend.

I've got a cast of characters I enjoyed writing about and it would be good to see where a second novella would take them all.

So, that's my initial idea.

I found a very interesting article, Create a Plot Outline in 8 Easy Steps, which looks at the eight ingredients a good plot needs.

They are:
  • Story Goal
  • Consequences
  • Requirements
  • Forewarnings
  • Costs
  • Dividends
  • Prerequisites
  • Preconditions

My next task is to work my way through these eight ingredients and see what ideas they trigger that I can build a plot outline with.

What's important is that I don't outline too heavily. I'm a pantser at heart!

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot. I should be able to get at least 10 minutes (if not half an hour! Whoopee!!) of writing time in during my little one's afternoon naps. Which take place in the car.

It's not a coffee shop writing (*sigh*) but it IS writing and that's what counts! :)

0 comments: